Monday, February 11, 2013

Run Hard for the Finish Line

Last night Matt gave the HUB talk and did a wonderful job helping the 1 Corinthians passage that we looked at come to life.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (MSG) You’ve all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You’re after one that’s gold eternally. I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

You might not be a runner, but if you're an athlete you can understand what it looks like to train. Why do you practice? Why do you push yourself so hard? Because no one can get out there and run a race and expect to win if he hasn't been training. It's the same with the Christian life...it takes training. It takes time and effort. It's deciding to put yourself in front of truth and grace by going to church, HUB, bible study, whatever. It's taking time each day to spend time in God's word, filling yourself up with His truth about your life instead of listening to the lies of the world. It's talking and praying to God about your life, acknowledging that without Him, nothing makes sense. And why do we do it? Why is it all worth it? Because the goal isn't a medal that tarnishes and fades, the goal is a prize that is gold eternally. The prize is eternal life with God. But that eternal life starts NOW. Here on this earth. We don't have to wait to receive our prize in Heaven, we get to have it here on Earth as we live in relationship with Jesus Christ. So are you going to continue to get caught napping? Are you going to get by with sloppy living? As Matt ended the night he prayed for us. Prayed that we wouldn't compromise and just take the easy road. That one really stuck with me. I pray that I won't take the easy road, that I won't cut corners. What will you do? Are you going to stay alert and in top condition - giving it everything you've got? Let's run hard for the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment